Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Mosque at Ground Zero...




I don't usually weigh in on controversial topics, as I prefer to usually keep this blog inspirational and about love, but I have to say I am not in support of the Muslim desire to build so close to Ground Zero in New York City. Do they have a constitutional right to build it? Yes they do. Should they? I don't think so. I think the best analogy is one of the following:

Consider the following scenario. Let's say that there is an individual who moves into a given community, and one day he decides to kidnap a young child walking home from school. He does many horrible things to her, but ultimately the man is caught before he can do any fatal harm to the girl. The girl is, however, severely traumatized, as is the community. The man ultimately receives a 25-year prison sentence, but is paroled after seven. He is now considered a Sexually Violent Predator and must register as such for the rest of his life. He sincerely believes he is reformed, however, and wants to move back to the same community where this terrible offense occurred. How would you, as a hypothetical person living in this community, feel about this situation? Would you support him taking up residence in the same area where he committed his crime? I think not. There is no doubt there are peace-loving moderate Muslims, but because we were violated and lost our innocence in the destruction of the twin towers on 9/11 it is NOT a popular decision at all, much like the above hypothetical situation I mention. Have a good day everyone.

1 comment:

My Opinions! said...

Wonderful analogy, thank you. And I agree 100% with everything you said. They have a constitutional right to build, and there are many peaceful Muslims who do not hate America. However, it would be very painful to anyone affected by 9/11 to see a constant reminder of that day. I also strongly believe it is dishonoring those military people fighting for our freedom, defending us, and a "spitting in the face" for those who lost their lives. It's disrespectful to the firefighters and all who worked so hard that day.

As you can tell, I'm quite opinionated in some ways! I am also a Christian who believes He can forgive anyone who sincerely repents, and am thankful He saved me. However, I would not want a constant reminder of that pain (Mosque) to be flaunted so blatantly any more than I would want the man who raped and scarred my daughter to be living next door to me. The Lord can use it to His Glory and even bring good from it, just as with Joseph in Gen. 50:20. But they have many other options and places to build or extend their worship area other than where they attacked. It would be more honoring to pay tribute to all those who serve our country and show support for our troops and fireman.

Thank you for posting. And may the Lord Bless You and your family as you continue pursuing your education and ministry.

In Christ,
Jodi Hess (JodiH@rochester.rr.com)